The latest in product offerings, future innovations, fabricator quality, the distribution network -- these are just some of the topics covered in our recent poll of the major manufacturers of solid surface. SolidSurface asked Rick Olson (DuPont Surfaces), Jean-Pierre Clement (Formica Corp.), Jerry Dailey (LG Solid Source), J.K. Seo (Samsung Staron), Mike Weddington (Wilsonart) and J. H. Park (Hanwha Decorative Materials Division) for their candid observations on these critical subjects.
Editor's Note: At the time this article went to press, Aristech Acrylics and Avonite were undergoing a merger and were, therefore, unable to respond to our survey.
1. Please share the latest developments in your product offering.
Olson: As a partner with DuPont Surfaces, fabricators know they are associated with a company and value chain network that has a strong history of product and aesthetic innovation. DuPont Surfaces consults with experts worldwide to develop aesthetics and products that will satisfy the wide range of tastes of both consumers and specifiers alike including:
• Patented aesthetics from the Corian Private Collection that were recently provided an award by HOME magazine for their innovation and beauty. The collection includes the Palladio and Artisan series, both featuring beautiful aesthetics with random veining.
• Corian Bas-Relief panels for home and work spaces that incorporate texture onto Corian surfaces for backsplashes, shower walls and other vertical applications. Corian Bas-Relief is also available in sheets featuring both stock and custom textures.
• Continous expansion of new colors for DuPont Corian solid surfaces that showcase richer, deeper neutrals and bring the Corian palette to an industry-leading 114 colors
• Five new colors of DuPont Zodiaq quartz surfaces that combine the highest-quality materials with DuPont innovation to maximize the beauty of natural quartz crystals
• DuPont Bath Surfaces, an exciting new line of advanced cast polymer bath products for the commercial market.
Clement: Formica Corporation has recently combined the Surell and Fountainhead lines and launched Formica Solid Surfacing which includes all designs from the previous lines and 7 brand new very exciting patterns and designs. The new line is now made of 72 designs which coordinate with the high pressure decorative laminate Formica line. We have introduced a new copolymer APC 78 in 2002 which is leading to elimination of dust during fabrication and sheets are totally stress free and more flexible.